100% A Level Pass Rate
- Published: Thursday, 13 August 2015 10:58
Birkdale School are delighted to announce an outstanding 100% pass rate in this year’s A Levels. Nearly half of all grades were A*/A.
This academic success is wide ranging with Economics, Design & Technology, Physics, Biology and Religious Studies all achieving around 50% A*/A grade.
Notable this year are Geography grades where 60% of students gained A*/A grade. Maths grades were particularly strong with 53% A*/A grade, with half the entire year group opting to study Maths.
A recent survey in the Daily Telegraph highlighted the top 10 most difficult Universities to get into. Birkdale students have offers from 8 of these prestigious Universities including Oxford, Durham, St Andrews, UCL, Warwick, Edinburgh, Imperial and Bristol.
Significant individual achievements include:
- 4 Birkdale students: Toby Williams, Sam Oliver, Zach Smith and Lizzie Peck have gained places at Oxford achieving an impressive 15 A*/A’s between them. Toby and Zach will study Philosophy, Politics and Economics, Sam will study Theology and Lizzie will study French and Russian..
- Tom Bower (3A* and 2 A grades) gained a place to study Computing at Imperial College London. He also achieved an impressive A* for his Extended Project based on the Enigma Code.
- 3 students also achieved 3 A* and 1 A grade: Sam Green, Amir Vahabi and Byron Hemingway. Amir is an Ogden Scholar and came to Birkdale to study A levels from Westfield School. Byron has gained a place to study Natural Sciences at Durham.
- Girls at Birkdale have also enjoyed considerable success. Individual achievements include Beth Keel, Jenny Wang and Sophie McMurray who gained 9A*/A grades between them.
- Josh Walton (2A* and 1A) who is also an Ogden Scholar will be studying Chemical Engineering at Sheffield.
- Gaurav Suri achieved 3 A* grades and will study Economics at Nottingham University.