An Oxbridge Record for Birkdale!
- Published: Thursday, 18 August 2016 12:30
Birkdale would like to congratulate all students on their success in AS and A2 examinations. Overall A2 results were once again excellent, with over half of all grades being A* or A. Nearly a quarter of the year group achieved all A* or A grades. We are also delighted to announce a school record with 11 students achieving places at either Oxford or Cambridge universities.
It is of significant note that these students have secured places for a wide range of different courses including Medicine, Engineering, Modern Languages, History, Economics and English Literature.The awarding of university places is a key aim for all Birkdale students and reflects many years of focused and dedicated education. Many of our successful students have been at Birkdale since the reception year at our Prep School, whilst others joined us for their Sixth Form studies.
The academic success at Birkdale is wide ranging with departments of Art, Chemistry, Economics, Modern Foreign Languages, Geography, Government and Politics, Maths, Further Maths, Music, Religious Studies and Theatre Studies all attaining more than half of their grades at A* or A.
The number of students opting to study the Extended Project Qualification has grown in recent years; Birkdale students have achieved considerable success this year with 22 out of 28 students achieving A* or A grade.
The Arts continue to flourish with an excellent year for those studying Art or Drama. Art students performed well with 88% achieving A* or A grade. Twins Joshua and Michael Anderson both gained A* grades. 71% of those studying Theatre Studies also achieved A* grade.
Maths at Birkdale remains a popular subject choice with nearly 50% of the year group choosing the subject. 82% of those studying Further Maths achieved A* grade.
There are many notable individual achievements which include:
- Birkdale girls continue to thrive and achieve highly. Significant successes include Eva Coley, Eve Dore, Hannah Dungworth, Sophie Kitchin, Olivia Molyneux, and Anna Freidenfeld achieving 9 A*and 10 A grades between them. Sophie achieved a fantastic 4 A* grades and A* in her EPQ and will read Economics at Cambridge.
- Ross Toward, Head of School, achieved 4 A* grades plus A* for his Extended Project. Ross has been at Birkdale since he was 11 and made an outstanding contribution to the school. Ross will study Medicine at Oxford.
- Joe Gibbs (3 A* and 1 A) and Josh Gregory (2A* and 2A) were awarded the Ogden Scholarship. Joe will read Engineering at Warwick and Josh will read Engineering at Durham.
- Hang Su (2 A*, 1 A, 1 B and A in EPQ) came to Birkdale Sixth Form from China and has achieved astonishing grades in a foreign language. He will study Natural Sciences at Imperial College, London.
Head Master Dr Paul Owen said of the A Level results:
“I am absolutely delighted by these excellent results; staff and students have worked incredibly hard over many years and it is extremely pleasing to see the students achieve so highly and be able to move on to the next stage in their education with huge confidence.”