Birkdale School students are being congratulated on their GCSE successes as one in six of today’s results are at grade 9 – the highest possible level. Nationally, just one in 20 were graded 9.
With an overall pass rate (grades 4-9) of 98%, over a third of all results were at a grade 9 or 8 (equivalent to A** to A* in previous years) and eight in ten were at grades 9 to 6 (A** to B).
The School continues to excel across the full range of subjects:
- 12 subjects had over 30% of grades at 9 or 8 – including Maths, French, Spanish and German.
- Science results were outstanding with 42% of all grades across Chemistry, Physics and Biology at grades 9 or 8.
- Three-quarters of those studying Latin achieved a grade 9.
- In Computing, 77% of all entries achieved A* or A grade.
- The Art department continued their success of last week’s A levels with 61% of students receiving grades 9 or 8.
There were notable individual performances by Ashwin, Vinothan and Harris all achieving a clean sweep of top grades.
Birkdale School Headmaster Peter Harris said:
“I want to congratulate every student at Birkdale on today’s GCSE results which are the outcome of years of hard work, effort and dedication. We should also thank everyone who has supported them – from teachers and staff, to parents, family and friends.
“We look forward to welcoming many of those students receiving their grades back to Birkdale for Sixth Form in September as they begin the next stage of their journey.”