Pupils at Birkdale School are being congratulated on their GCSE successes despite the unprecedented circumstances and challenges they faced during their studies.
26% of results were the highest possible grade 9 with nearly half at the top two grades, 9 or 8, with two-thirds at grades 9 – 7 (equivalent previously to A** to A).
Among the other headlines across a full range of subjects:
- Science results were outstanding with 57% of all grades across Chemistry, Physics and Biology at level 9 or 8.
- Three-quarters of those studying Geography achieved the highest possible grade 9.
- In Computing, 80% of all entries achieved grade 9 or 8.
- Design & Technology continues to thrive with 65% of pupils achieving grade 9 or 8.
- The Art department continued their success of this week’s A levels with 65% of students receiving grade 9 or 8.
- Overall, 11 subjects achieved over 30% of grades at 9 or 8 – including Drama, Music and Religious Studies.
Birkdale School Head Master Peter Harris said:
“I want to congratulate every pupil at Birkdale on their GCSE results which are the outcome of years of hard work, effort and dedication. We should also thank everyone who has supported them – from teachers and staff, to parents, family and friends.”
“There has never been an academic year like this – students have experienced disruption to their studies beyond our control over the past 18 months; but have risen to the challenge and reaped the rewards for their hard work. During periods of lockdown we moved seamlessly to our excellent remote learning provision, which has enabled our pupils to achieve highly today.”
“We look forward to welcoming the majority of those pupils receiving their grades back to Birkdale for Sixth Form in September as they begin the next stage of their journey.”