A Level Results Summary 2019
Birkdale School are celebrating an excellent set of A Level results with individual achievement backed up by collective success.
1 in 8 results across all pupils and all subjects (13%) were at the highest possible grade – A*, while nearly half across the school were at either grade A* or A – against a national average of 25.5%.
Among the notable results:
- 93% achieved A* or A in their Extended Project Qualification (EPQ), a largely self-directed and self-motivated project aimed at developing creativity and curiosity, which all Sixth Form pupils can elect to undertake.
- 90% of Further Maths grades were at the highest grades – A* or A.
- Many departments achieved 50% or more A* and A grades – including Art, Design & Technology, Economics, Latin, Maths, Music, Spanish and French.
Behind the collective success are the individual achievements that A Level results are all about.
Mayuran and Rishin both achieved A*s in all the five subjects they completed. Mayuran will go on to study Mathematics at Cambridge, Rishin will study Physics and Philosophy at Oxford.
Tom and Kene have also gained places at Oxford or Cambridge. Tom will study Physics at Oxford. Kene will study Mathematics at Cambridge and also achieved “Outstanding” in both of his STEP entrance examinations.
The vast majority of Birkdale students have achieved their choice of university – a diverse range of degrees at some of the most prestigious institutions. These include:
- Five Birkdale students will study medicine including Ruhan (2A*/A), Ahmad (3A/ A in EPQ), William (3A), Matthew (A*/2A) and Violet (3A/A* in EPQ).
- James (A*/2A) has achieved a place at Sheffield University to study Dentistry and also studying locally is Thomas (A*/2A plus A* in EPQ) who will study Bio- Medical Science also at Sheffield University.
- The girls in our co-educational Sixth Form, have performed extremely well including: Head Girl Emma (3A*) Francesca (2A*/A); Isobel (2A*/A) and Anya (2A*/A). Emma will study Economics at Newcastle University, Fran will study Psychology at Durham University and Isobel will study Law at Manchester. Anya has a deferred place to study Psychology at Bristol University, following a gap year with Project Trust.
- Three students have places at Warwick University. Matthew (2A*/A) will study Economics, Sam (A*/2A) will study Economics and Harry (A*/3A) will study Politics and French.
- Engineering remains a popular choice with Louis (2A*/2A) achieving a place to study at Bristol. Louis achieved A* in his EPQ which was Engineering related. Rere will study Mechanical Engineering at Derby.
- We are delighted that six of our students: Isobel; Jabar; Alex; Ethan; Charlotte and William have chosen to study Law this year, places which have been achieved by studying a diverse range of subjects.
- A number of students will be studying in London including: Peter (A*/2A/B) at University College, London; Mike (4A) also at University College, London; Kevin 2A/B/C at Kings College, London and Michael at Imperial College.
- Birkdale also celebrates the Arts with a number of students choosing to carry on their studies aspiring to careers in Illustration, Fine Art, Graphics and Architecture. Harvey has achieved a place at Leeds College of Art and Design to study Illustration. William and Connor are going to Chesterfield to take the Fine Art Foundation course – a popular choice for many Birkdale artists and Bailey will go to Falmouth University also to study Fine Art. Oliver will study Architecture at the University of Nottingham.
Birkdale School Head Master, Mr Peter Harris, said:
“I am delighted by the success of our talented students in winning places at their chosen universities. I am thrilled that the results highlight the diversity of A levels available at Birkdale and our success in achieving the highest grades.
“I wish all of our students the very best for the future and know they leave us as confident, independent young people who are equipped for the challenges of university and their life beyond.”
A Level Results past and present