- Prep School
- Senior School
- Sixth Form
- About Us
Students are introduced to the use of measuring skills as a fundamental component required to achieve accuracy with their drawing. The works of a variety of artists are referenced and a small amount of research and inquiry is encouraged through discussion and homework.
A variety of mediums are explored including pastel, paint, clay and printing, though all are supported by drawing and measuring.
Year 8 is a more in-depth year and serves to build upon the newly acquired drawing and measuring techniques.
• a measured self portrait is completed using pencil
• scale and depth are explored through drawing the studio space
• pastel work is developed to a higher standard
• a still life painting is produced using acrylic paint.
• the work of other artists is analysed and researched once again
Students study the work of the ‘old masters’ in terms of both drawing and painting. They learn how to research art and artists within a given website. They are encouraged to be more versatile with both paint and pencil in order to create a wide range of art works including a variety of marks and textures.
At the end of each year a still life drawing is completed. This relates clearly to the work undertaken in each year and enables students to refine and develop their observational skills and use of measurements.