Middle School PE
PE and Games Lessons in the Middle School (S4 and S5, Year 10 and 11)
Boys receive one PE lesson per week and one Games afternoon. They should be presented with a variety of challenges and experiences which enable them to:
- Participate in a range of games including large and small team games as well as individual sports.
- Know and observe the rules / laws of the various games.
- Take up differing roles within the games including officiating.
- Begin to understand and implement more advanced strategies and techniques.
- Devise practices and tactics for specific purposes.
- Learn to plan and carry out an effective training programme.
- Experience the principles of aerobic and anaerobic training and how exercise (or lack of it) can affect your body both during and after the activity. Look more deeply at the different components of fitness.
- Appraise their own performance in pursuit of improvement.
S5 (Year 11) also have additional options of sport on their Games afternoon, but restricted to staff supervision activities :-
- Indoor sports—Badminton, Basketball, and Weight Training.
- Outdoor Pursuits, including Climbing and Sailing.
- Members of the Hallamshire Sports Club may attend supervised sessions which could include Squash, Tennis or use of the Fitness Suite
- With the addition of the following during the summer months:-
- Athletics at the English Institute of Sport