Welcome to Learning Support at Birkdale School!
The aims of the Learning Support Programme at Birkdale School are:
- To make reasonable adjustments for those with special needs and disabilities by taking action to increase access to the curriculum and public examinations, the environment, and to printed information.
- To ensure that children and young people with SEN and disabilities engage in the activities of the school alongside those who do not.
- To use our best endeavours to secure special educational provision for pupils that is, “additional to and different from,” that provided within the differentiated curriculum, to better respond to the four broad areas of need:
- Communication and interaction,
- Cognition and learning,
- Social, mental and emotional health,
- To involve parents and pupils in decisions about provision and assessment.
- To ensure a high level of staff expertise to meet pupil need, through well-targeted continuing professional development and easy access to useful information.
- To work in cooperative and productive partnership with outside agencies.
Information about the Department
The Learning Support Department is situated at the top of the Grayson building. The department is staffed by the special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCo), Mrs Lisa Marsh and a Higher Level Teaching Assistant, Mrs Judith McQuillin. They deliver provision for identified students. The needs of students with identified needs are in the main, expected to be met by classroom teachers through differentiated teaching informed where necessary by advice from the SENCo. However, the department does offer a range of interventions.
Current interventions offered by the department are:
- Turnabout-processing speed and working memory (all years)
- Dyslexia Support (all years)
- Book Club (all years)
- Study skills (6th Form and S5)
- Homework Support (S1 and S2)
- Reading Club (S1 and S2)
- Spelling School (S1 and S2)
- Speed Up-a kinaesthetic writing programme (S1 and S2)
Interventions are delivered to targeted pupils and last for a term, when provision is reviewed.
Further information is available here:
If you have any queries or concerns about your child’s needs or support, please do not hesitate to contact Mrs Lisa Marsh
Telephone: 0114 2668408 extension 647