A Level Results Summary 2018
Birkdale School achieved an excellent set of results at A level across the full range of subjects. Nearly 50% of all grades were A*/A with 16% of all grades achieving A*, which is double the National figure of 8%. Birkdale students were also very successful in achieving the top grades for their Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) with a fantastic 77% achieving A*/A grade.
We are most delighted that the vast majority of our students have achieved their choice of university. Birkdale students go on to study a diverse range of degrees at some of the most prestigious universities. The notable grade achievements and university destinations are shown below:
- Many departments achieved 50% or more A*/A grades including Biology, Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Classics, Design & Technology, Geography, English Literature, History, Religious Studies and Modern Languages. It has been an outstanding year for our Geographers with nearly two thirds of the group achieving A*/A grade.
- Those students achieving the highest grades include: Ray Cheung (3A*); Edmund Findlay (3A*/1A); Laurence Franks (3A*); Abu-Al-Hassan (2A*/2A) Lynn Moe (4A*); Abinav Mohanamurali (4A*).
- Our record in gaining excellent examination results in Classics continues and we are delighted that Ray Cheung has achieved his place to read Classics at Wadham College, Oxford. He also achieved an A grade in Greek AS level, which Birkdale offer as an additional subject. Tom Hodson (2A*/1A) will also study Classics at St Andrews University.
- Four Birkdale students will study medicine. Three at Newcastle University: Abinav Mohanamurali; Laurence Franks and Oliver Howard. William Purcell will study medicine at Liverpool University.
- Congratulations to Ned Lockwood and Rob Tomblin as they both take up Degree Apprenticeships with Dyson. They will study engineering credited to the University of Warwick.
- Lynn Moe will take up a place to study Chemical Engineering at Imperial College London.
- Three students will be studying at the London School of Economics – a testament to the outstanding and thriving Economics department at Birkdale. This includes Josh Michalowski (3A*/1A) who will study Economics and Lya Peng (2A*/3A) who will study Economics and Management.
- Lya Peng is one of three Birkdale girls with places to study in London. Molly Piao will study Economics at University College London (UCL) and Liv Parkes will study Pharmacology also at UCL.
- Four Birkdale students will be studying a range of courses at Durham University: Chris Chung (Modern Languages); Edmund Findlay (Maths); Ellen Knight (Philosophy & Theology); Henry Stevenson (Geography).
- Six students will be studying at Bristol University in September: Ella Thomson (3A) will study English Literature; Harry King (1A*/3A) will study Maths; Sam Pickup (A*/A/B) will study History; Erin Harvey-Grant (2A/B) will study English; Rebecca Kent (A/2B) plus Miles Hemingway who deferred from last year.
- Head of School, Lewis Chinchen (1A*/3A) has achieved a place at Warwick University to study PPE.
- A* grades in History are notoriously difficult to achieve. We are delighted that a third of the group achieved this including: Haaris Herzog-Khan (2A*/B); Tom Hodson and Henry Stevenson. All three students also achieved A* grade in their EPQ.
- Our Art department goes from strength to strength with over half of the cohort achieving A* grade. Three of those students plan to continue their studies on Art Foundation courses.
- We are delighted that Alex Gregory has achieved his place to study Blacksmithing. There is only one course in the country offering this and it is definitely a Birkdale first! Alex also achieved an outstanding A* grade in Classics. James Summers will be going to flying school with EasyJet and Christian Mills is already in America about to embark on his studies.
Acting Head Master, Mr Nicholas Pietrek said, “I am delighted by the success of our talented students in winning places at their chosen universities. This is the result of a huge amount of hard work by staff and students over the last 2 years. I am thrilled that the results highlight the diversity of A levels available at Birkdale and our success in achieving the highest grades.”
A Level Results past and present